NA is a nonprofit fellowship or society of men and women for whom drugs had become a major problem. We are recovering addicts who meet regularly to help each other stay clean. We are not a religious organization. Our program is a set of spiritual principles through which we are recovering from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body.
- NA is a nonprofit fellowship or society of men and women for whom drugs had become a major problem. We are recovering addicts who meet regularly to help each other stay clean. This is a program of complete abstinence from all drugs. There is only one requirement for membership, the desire to stop using. We suggest that you keep an open mind and give yourself a break. Our program is a set of principles written so simply that we can follow them in our daily lives. The most important thing about them is that they work. There are no strings attached to NA. We are not affiliated with any other organizations. We have no initiation fees or dues, no pledges to sign, no promises to make to anyone. We are not connected with any political, religious, or law enforcement groups, and are under no surveillance at any time. Anyone may join us, regardless of age, race, sexual identity, creed, religion, or lack of religion.
- NA Does Not.
- Keep membership records or case histories.
- Follow up or try to control its members.
- Make medical or psychological diagnoses or prognoses.
- Provide hospitalization, medication, medical or psychiatric treatment.
- Provide housing, food, clothing, jobs, money or other such services.
- Provide domestic or vocational counseling.
- Engage in or sponsor research.
- Affiliate with social agencies (though many members and service offices do cooperate with them).
- Offer religious services.
- Engage in any controversy about drugs, alcohol, or others.
- Accept money for its services or contributions from non-N.A. sources.
- Provide letters of reference to parole boards, attorneys, court officials, schools, businesses, social agencies, or any other organization or institution